South Edmonton School of Massage Therapy
Student Admission Requirements
GENERAL ADMISSION CRITERIA
- Applicants are required to submit a resume and cover letter expressing the reasons for applying to the program. These items will be reviewed by the directors to assess English language writing skills as well as to determine the motivation of the applicant.
- Applicants must have access to a computer and internet access for the duration of the program
- Successful completion of an interview with the directors. The criteria needed to complete a successful interview are:
- a general understanding of: a massage therapist job description, the physical demands of the job, the pay expectations, the work setting, the general set up of our school-particularly that it is a distance learning weekend program, the time requirements and cost
- the director determines that the applicant has a desire/motivation and is capable of completing the program
- there is a separate aptitude test which measures math skills, English language comprehension, recognizing patterns (5 question test compiled from various free IQ tests-successfully field tested with hiring our hosting facility staff for the last 4 years) that will be written by all regular admission students and mature students with a 30-level science course completion.
CATEGORIES OF ADMISSION
Admission to Massage Therapy Level I:
- Applicants must have an Alberta high school diploma (or equivalent) and have a minimum grade of 50 percent in either Chemistry 30, Biology 30 or Science 30 (provide transcripts).
- successfully complete an abbreviated IQ test during the interview process.
- Applicants must be 20 years of age or older and have been out of full-time high school at least one year by the beginning of the intake term.
- the applicant must have 50 high school credits and 50% or better in English, math and one science, successfully complete an abbreviated IQ test during the interview process
- the mature student admission requires that the applicant must either have credit for at least one 30-level science course or successfully complete an abbreviated IQ test with a minimum score 85 along with general biology aptitude test (minimum score 60%), to be completed during our interview session.
Admission to Massage Therapy Level II:
- Applicants must have successfully completed the first year of study (Massage Therapy Level I) or provide copies of transcripts proving completion of at least a 1000 hour massage therapy program at another school.
Conditionally accepted applicants are required to submit the following:
- Current criminal records check.
- Immunization Record form meeting provincial regulations for health care workers, if available.